The festivities began with sending Aylee and Johnathan off to school in their costumes. Johnathan was the Lone Ranger - Amber did a great job painting the mask on Johnathan since they can't wear the dangerous accesories to school. Aylee, of course, was the faithful companion, Tonto. She sported the old Indian costume that I used to wear when I was her age. I believe Mom made it for me for an elementary school play or for halloween, I can't remember. They boarded the bus with out guns or tomahawks because those type of toy weapons are banned from our public education institutions.
Amber then proceeded to dress up Aliece and Alayna for the festive day. They were both excited to be colorful clowns - I suspect their excitement was heightened by the opportunity to have their hair colored Blue with some dyed hair spray Reed gave the kids a year or so ago for Christmas. Once dressed, Amber took the pair off to Macey's to run some errands. Maceys is a great family grocery store and had different stations for our clowns to trick or treat at during the shopping errand. They had a great time.I came home around noon to work from home while Amber headed off to Aylee's school class to throw a Halloween bash for the second graders. Amber was in charge of the party and it sounds like it was a great success. She had prepared some 30 sugar cookies (no, not 300 - that is reserved for Christmas). She took them to school (although it is expressly prohibited to give school children anything that is homemade - what can I say - we're rebels) and had the kids frost and decorate the cookies. Sounds like it was a hit!
Once Amber got home, I headed back to work to help some people there and to get ready for the trick-or-treating rush at Novell. At precisely 4pm, the mob hit. Hundreds (or probably thousands) of little dressed up ghouls and goblins, Harry's and Hermiones, Fantastic Fours and Jedi, were combing the white-gray walls of our eight-story sanctuary. I gave out hundreds of wrapped smarties to the little guests and enjoyed making visits myself with our own dressed-up sugar-seekers.
After the candy reserves were depleted in my office, and our kids' halloween buckets were filled, we headed home to resume the pegan tradition at our base-camp (home). By this time, my back was really killing me, so I layed down on the floor and Amber took all the kids out trick or treating with the exception of Alayna, who was quite offended that she was not allowed to infiltrate the neighborhood with the other kids. As you can see in this picture, she mostly stood by the door the whole time wanted to haunt the neighborhood with the other partiers. However, she did enjoy opening the door every time the costumed capers would knock. Alayna entertained me however, as she quickly learned to hold out her hand and say, "chickocheat".
After our children returned home with their caches of candy, chocolate and treasures, Jen and Dave stopped by for a few minutes for a suprise visit to witness the foray for themselves. We had a nice visit with them and let the kids parade their custumes in front of them before we cleaned them up and sent them to their bedrooms for detoxification.
In the end, Amber and I were left with this amazing site. Mounds and buckets and piles of candy, wrappers, and processed sugar sitting there for the sole purpose of being ingested during the next 12 months by children who will bounce off the walls as their poor little bodies try to process the C12H22O11 sucrose compound.Well, I hope your Halloween was just as successful as ours. Happy Halloween!

No comments:
Post a Comment