In all of my life, I have never had the missionaries in my home. I
had always dreamed of having the missionaries over for dinner as a
youth. However, due to the fact that the missionaries only visited
Arbon once a year, and that most of the families in Arbon were LDS, we
never really had a chance. Then when I moved to Provo and realized
that there were two missionaries for two stakes comprising of about
10,000 people jointly, I knew my chances were minimal.
Well, on Sunday, my hopes were realized when the missionaries knocked
on our door. Well, they really weren't there to see us, they thought
we were a different family, but we told them that the Smarts were not
home, but they were welcome to come in for Amber had just taken some
cinnamon rolls out of the oven. We visited for about 15 minutes.
Jake, Joe and Jen were there also, so we had a good visit. After the
visit, I drove them to their next appointment.
Well, my joy was full, I was able to entertain missionaries in my
home. However, what to my surprise, last night, there was a knock at
the door - there were our two new missionaries again. I had no idea
why they were there, but we invited them in. It turns out that they
were wondering how to get in touch with Jake and Joe to find out about
when they play basketball. I guess the church has just rolled out a
new exercise program for the missionaries where they are supposed to
exercise until 7:30am. I gave them Jake's number. We were in the
middle of dinner, so we invited them to eat with us. They did so.
After dinner I then drove them to their next appointment.
Well, I was feeling pretty good that we were able to have the
missionaries in our home TWO times in the past week. I was still
happy in my heart in the evening. It just so happened that I was
helping Aylee take a bath. I guess the missionaries visits had caused
her to think also. She shared her ideas with me.
"Dad," she said, "Why do you think the missionaries came over to our
house again?"
To which I replied, "I don't know Aylee, but it was nice to have them."
She then shared me her thoughts, "I think they are trying to trick us."
I replied, a little less sure of myself, "Why do you think that?"
Aylee responded, "I think they are trying to teach us the gospel and
have us get baptized without us knowing it."
I quickly responded, "Hmm, well we already have the gospel and have
been baptized."
She replied, "Well, we do, but I am not baptized yet."
So, then our discussion turned to not needing to be baptized until you
are eight years old and the discussion soon drifted to other things.
As I left the bathroom to let Aylee finish her bath, I had to shake my
head and wonder...where did we get this girl!
Wednesday, October 13, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment