Saturday, September 17, 2011

Amber's First 5k - The Shelley Spud Run

The kids were not the only ones to participate in a running sport for spud days. Over the past few months, Amber and a few of her neighbor friends have been getting up around six in the morning to go running together. They decided that it would be fun to train for the annual "spud run".

They have had a great time preparing themselves for the race. They met up this morning at 6:30 AM to run their race.

I had a great time hopping from station to station throughout the race. After Amber's first mile, she was looking strong. I wish I could have grabbed a picture of her at that point. At the second mile point, she was really sweating but she had confidence in her face. I knew that it would be a good race for her. At mile three, you could tell that she was giving it all she had. That last 10th of a mile was hard but she pushed through it and into the race at about 31 minutes -- making her pace a 10 minute mile.

Amber has really gotten into running this year. It has been a great experience for her. I think next year she's going to be ready to take on a 10K race. It has been fun to see her fight so much enjoyment running with some of her good friends here in Shelley.

Editor's Note: I actually slept in this morning and my subconcious convinced me that Amber's race didn't begin until 7:35 AM. I woke up accordingly and went downstairs. My Dad was down there wondering if I was going to the race. I told him that I was. He wanted to come along, so we hopped in the truck. On the way over (about 7:45) Amber called my cell phone. I was surprised that she would call during her race but wondered if they were starting late. I answered and Amber asked if I slept in. It then hit me that I was on the wrong time schedule...the race didn't start at 7:35, Amber was expecting to FINISH at 7:35. The good husband that I am missed the race entirely. I at least got there in time to snap the picture!

No comments: