Thursday, February 11, 2010

Curiosity Killed the Kid

Avary Frann entered this world with a fierce determination and independence. In the hospital the nurses dubbed her "Queen Avary" because even in those first hours she knew what she wanted and was quite skilled at communicating her desires.

The last few weeks I have been trying to start her on solids. She is old enough and is ready in every way to begin a new dining adventure. So what's the hold up? She insists on holding the spoon. And not just any spoon, she wants the spoon that holds the food. Now I've had a few kids and I know a few tricks -- use a decoy spoon, make the child laugh then shove the food in, etc. -- but none of them work with The Queen. There is only one way anything is getting in her mouth, and that is if she is putting it there herself. (From the very beginning she has even insisted on holding her own bottle.)

Here is a video that proves my point. You may have to go to the blog to see it. (Just so you know, this post gets better below the video.)


Well, this week John and I were reminded that children come to earth with certain gifts, talents and personalities for a purpose, and maybe ... just maybe ... that purpose is self-preservation!

John and I have some pretty dang sweet children. They rarely fight (unless they're reenacting Indiana Jones) and have a lot of fun being together. Jace is no exception. He loves to play hard with his older siblings and does a good job keeping up with them. I also think, er -- hope, he loves his little sister, as well. However at this point in his life, curiosity and brute force may just cause little Avary's demise. (It's a real bummer when brawn outweighs brain!)

Here are a sampling of the scenarios I have witnessed in the last 24 hours (keep in mind, that all of these happened while I was not more than 10 feet away from both children):

#1 Jace: I wonder if I can bite through this little finger....Why is Avary screaming?
#2 Jace: I wonder if Avary wants to wrestle. I think I'll lay prostrate belly to belly with her....Why is Avary screaming?
#3 Jace: I wonder if eyeballs are removable. I think I'll poke around Avary's ocular cavities and find out....Why is Avary screaming?
#4 Jace: I love sword fighting with Aylee, but she's not here right now. I wonder if Avary wants to combat with these train tracks....Why is Avary screaming?
#5 Jace: I wonder if Avary wants to sword fight with these knives....Why is Avary screaming?

Okay, so #5 didn't happen quite like that. Actually, I left Jace sitting at the bar eating a peanut butter sandwich and drumming utensils on the counter top, while Avary cruised around in her walker and I stepped into the office to check an email. I ran into the kitchen when I heard Avary scream, and found her sitting next to Jace who was holding a plastic fork in his hand. Fairly innocent, right. ( Jace: I wonder what this plastic fork sounds like when I drum it against Avary's head.) However, on the counter next to his plate was a pile of the sharpest knives in my house.



Coincidentally, just last week John was asking me if I thought we could start leaving Avary at home with Aylee while we go on our dates. I think this probably answers that question.

Heaven help us all!!!

1 comment:

Andi said...

Hopefully, that same incident will not happen on your birthday! I just want to wish you a happy birthday, Amber!