Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Nerds

Yesterday night, after a full day at LegoLand and the beach, we went to a restaurant for dinner.  At the beginning of our meal, Johnathan had asked Amber to explain what a "Nerd" was.  She didn't quite know how to explain it and asked me for help.  I didn't want to say, "Hey, son, just look at your parents and you will know the definition."  So, we let it rest for a bit. 
 
Later on during the meal, Aylee and Johnathan were complaining geometric stuff that I didn't even understand.  They were talking about pentagonal prisms and other shapes and what their properties would be.
 
Seeing a perfect opportunity to explain what a nerd was, I stopped John in his conversation and said, "John, you wanted to know what a nerd is?"  He said, yeah.  I said, "well, nerds are the type of people who like to talk about pentagonal prisms for fun at a restaurant." 
 
Johnathan didn't think it was funny like Amber, Aylee, and I, even though they were part of the discussion too. Johnathan had a confused look on his face still.  He said, "I don't understand, still."  I opened my mouth to give him a better explanation, when he continued explaining his confusion.  "You see," he said, "I am reading a book right now and the main character got hit in the nerds and it was really painful." 
 
When his true meaning donned on the rest of the 9+ year olds at the table, we were all laughing.  Amber laughed so hard she nearly pee'd her pants - and we all know that is a dangerous state for Amber - especially when pregnant.
 
Well, I didn't want to explain to Johnathan in the restaurant around his laughing sister and mother that what he really read was "nards", not "nerds", and what that is, so I guess I'll have to break it to him sometime this weekend before he asks his teacher at school for some clarification.

No comments: