Sunday, February 24, 2008

Tear Down a Bed - Break a Heart

Yesterday, Amber and I tore down the metal futon bunk bed in Aliece and Alayna's room. We hadn't thought to mention this plan to the girls, but thought they would enjoy having a big queen bed to share in their room since they would always share the futon bed together anyway - leaving the top bunk unoccupied.

However, as we began tearing down the metal bunk bed, Aliece freaked out. She was jumping up and down screaming hysterically that she did NOT want us throwing her bed away. She screamed and cried that she loved this bed and didn't want any other.

We tried to comfort her and finally sent her off down stairs so that she wouldn't be tortured by the site of her bed being disassembled. With every nut and bolt we removed, however, we could hear the sobbing voice downstairs.

It reminded me starkly of the time that Mom and Dad talked about selling the old 1972 Chevy Nova that we had had for years. I was about 8 or 9 and the thoughts of them selling the car were unbelievable for me at that age. I cried and cried. I then went to the garbage and got a can or a jar and started going around the house collecting money to save the Nova. Mom and Dad had a heart and never did sell the Nova until just a couple of years ago.

I must be a cold, heartless man because I still took Aliece's bed apart and gave it away all in the same day. The good news to the story is that once we moved the queen bed in from the orange room, she and Alayna were excited about their "new" bed.

No comments: