By the way FTF stands for "First to Find" - it is what people put in their logs if they are the first to find a cache.
Here are the notes that he recorded on the geocaching website:
Watch for Cavities (Bull Canyon Cave)
FTF!! This was #1 of 7 for the day. Never been in this part of Arbon Valley. Took tube of toothpaste and left spool of dental floss and two packets of Wet Ones wipes. Thanks, ScatStomper
Ripley's Believe it or Not (Ripley Road)
FTF!! This was #2 of 7 for the day. TNLN. Thanks, ScatStomper
Rocky Ridge Freight Road (Rocky Ridge)
FTF!! This was #3 of 7 for the day. TNLN. Thanks, ScatStomper
You've got mail - end of the lane (I made this one a puzzle where they had to research prices of postage stamps in different years to find out the real coordinates.)
FTF!! This was #4 of 7 for the day. I liked researching the 'net for USPS first class postage stamp history. Good idea! Thanks, ScatStomper
Arbon Church
I can't claim FTF on this one. The log sheet showed that some of the Andersen clan had signed it. This was #5 of 7 for the day. Good little puzzle. I hate to see the old church house being replaced with a new one, but I guess that's progress. Thanks, ScatStomper
Resting Place - Arbon Cemetary
FTF!! This was #6 of 7 for the day. My mother had sisters buried in this cemetery. Thanks for the memories, ScatStomper
Arbon Valley Roundup - Above Frank and Loretta's old place where we used to take the cows up to the onion
FTF!! This was #7 of 7 for the day. Quite a view of the valley. The wind was stirring up a duststorm. I took nothing, and left a Sponge Bob T shirt. Thanks, ScatStomper
ScatStomper then wrote me an email:
I thought I should give you a little insight into who I am, since I logged 7 of your caches today.
When I was seven years old my folks moved to Arbon from Pocatello to my grandpa's farm. Grandpa was James R. Bailey and my mom, Merle, was his youngest daughter. She passed away in 2000. She told me about the post office being in their home. I went to school in an old school house a few miles from the farm for the 2nd and 3rd grades. My brother and I would ride together on one bicycle during the fall and spring, and on one horse during the winter.
That schoolhouse closed, so for the 4th grade I went to school in the schoolhouse by the Arbon church. My most vivid memory of the 4th grade was when a girl blew off her two fingers and thumb when she stuck a compass point down into a blasting cap. This was right in the classroom. My brother was in the seat in front of her and little brass pieces went into his back.
Today at the cemetery, I saw the grave of Elmo Jack Andersen. He was one week older than I. We played together the summer of '42 before my folks moved to Malad. I remember Willard and Mamie and Jack's sister, who we played with, but I can't remember her name
I live in Malad and my name is Darrell Christensen or ScatStomper!!!
I really enjoyed going down memory lane (gravelled roads) today. Thanks much.
Also I got another email today from a guy that saw my geocaches on the internet:
Hi there Arbonboy, are you really in Arbon? I haven't been to Arbon for years; looks like these caches will get me there. I am really looking forward to visiting all the locations. I really wanted to tell you that I appreciate the bits of history surrounding the cache location. Each of them sounds truly intriguing and will definitely warrant a visit from Explorer's 3.
This has been a lot of fun! It is neat to think that those caches have helped people relive some memories or learn more about the Valley.

No comments:
Post a Comment