Springville rodeo event smacks of child abuse
The adults at the Springville Little Buckaroos Rodeo were abusing their children.
I visit my sister in Springville every June to enjoy Art City Days. We attend and have fun at all the events. However, I was so upset and unnerved by the child abuse at the rodeo, I had to leave.
What exactly is the purpose or lesson to be learned by placing a small child (3-5 years old) on the back of a sheep to be tossed to the ground, stepped on, frightened and -- in almost every case -- ended with a crying and sobbing child? There were only two children out of dozens who seemed to enjoy the event.
Why would a loving, devoted parent do that to their young child? Why is it even allowed?
I read this article and realized that everything that has gone wrong in my life is because I was forced to do mutton busting as a child. That is not the worst of it. I remember my Dad making me hop on a two wheeled bicycle (without the training wheels) and pushing me down the gravel driveway. I would fall, get cuts, scratches, and bruises; notwithstanding my wounds, I was coerced to hop on again.
The inhumanity that is found in this world is amazing. My heart goes out to all you "mutton busters" out there who fell off.

1 comment:
We 'forced' my oldest daughter to be in the mutton busting event at the Preston Rodeo when she was 5. She too, fell off and cried. It is a highlight of her young life and she talks about it proudly. Sometimes a little child abuse is a good thing.
Post a Comment