Monday, April 02, 2012

Heirlooms and Age

Well, another "heirloom" has been passed on today.

Before I go into it, I recall a couple other recent heirlooms that have gone from me to one of my kids. Jace has just finished wearing his cowboy shirt that I used to wear when I was his age. He has loved that shirt and has worn it nearly to shreds. Amber has had to perform a number of minor surgeries on it to keep it in tact.

Both Aylee and John have finished up the Harry Potter series and Aliece is now near the end as well. I remember writing a note to John in the cover of one of the Harry Potter books that came out the day (or day before) he was born. I read a lot of that book while Amber was in the hospital with him. With Aliece working on finishing up the series, half of my kids will have passed each book along.

This brings me to the heirloom used today. Aylee approached me to ask if I had a good graphing calculator that she could use at school. I have been saving my old blue TI-81 graphic calculator since high school for the express purpose of giving it to my kids to use through their high school years. This model was one of the first graphing calculators on the market at the time. It was a big deal when our teach required us to have a graphic calculator. I put that calculator to good use in highschool. It was programmable, and I had programmed formula solves and even games on it. It was a lot of fun for its time.

I had kept the calculator knowing that it would be handy some day. I had to search through all of our boxes both in the shop and downstairs. I knew I had packed it when we moved. After a long search I was happy to find it and even happier to see that it still worked. Aylee spent the evening finishing up her math with the calculator.

It is always touching to pass something on to your kids that you used to use years earlier. I guess it is just a sign of age, but it is fun nonetheless.

No comments: