Thursday, August 21, 2008

Day 2 in Banaglore

Still with no luggage, I had to use the laundry service at the hotel for the days I was without my bags. Each day it cost me $25.00 for laundry.



The laundry came all pressed and hanging nicely. However, I couldn't find my underwear or socks. I called the front desk, explaining to them that I thought there was some mistake in the service. They sent a bus boy up to my room to help me out.

On a dresser was a fancy woven basket with tons of white clothe in it. I had checked it twice to see if there were any clothes in there from the laundry service. However, after removing two layers of white linen I determined that this was to be used for room service dining.

When the attendant came to my room to help me, she showed me that if I would have looked deeper in the multi-layered linen basket, I would have found my clothes in tissue paper near the bottom of the basket. I thanked him, rather embarrassed and he excused himself. My underwear was folded around cardboard and wrapped in tissue paper, much like you would find a brand new church shirt in its original packaging. The socks were similarly dressed up. They were folded with a cardboard sleeve around them, giving them the appearance of being brand new.



The bathroom was just as elegantly decorated. All of my toiletries were found neatly arranged on a small town on the marble top bathroom counter. Everything here was fancy!



The traffic is crazy in Bangalore. They don't follow the rules, signs, or lane markings. In order to keep us safe, Novell hires a driver that takes us where ever we want to go. Our main driver drives for Novell people all of the time. His name is Ashok. I grabbed a picture of he and I just outside the hotel. He was a great guy.

From the office we left for a Manager's home (A peer to me). He and his wife had invited us all to dinner. He lived in the same town, but again with the traffic, it took us nearly two hours to get there.



Even at night the traffic is just crazy. The two lane roads often have four to five lanes of traffic forming. The visit was a nice one at Arif's home. However, I ate way too much spicy, Indian food, so my stomach was not the best after that. But, oh, it was really good!

That evening, I found that my luggage finally arrived at the hotel room in the afternoon. I was very happy to have my luggage back in my possession. I made another call to home to see how things were going, and then I fell fast asleep.

No comments: