Saturday, July 29, 2006

Object Lesson

Tonight we ran to the library and the got ice cream cones with the kids on the way back. While we were in the car we listened to some more of the Harry Potter books on CD.

When we got home, Aylee was folding clothes and I was making dinner. I didn't have much to say, so I thought I would use an object lesson to teach Aylee a principle. I wanted to talk to her about Lord Voldemort - about him having knowledge and great power, but abusing it all.

I started out the conversation by saying, "Aylee, do you want to be like Lord Voldemort when you grow up." The expected answer came quickly..."No!".

I continued, "why not? He was very powerful and very smart."

Aylee replied matter of factly, "I am already all of that." There was a bit of stunned silence on my part. Then I heard Aylee continue. I expected her to say, "notwithstanding, I still wouldn't want to be like him because he used it for wicked purposes." But, no, her response was different, she concluded just as resolute as before, "...And I don't need any more of it!"

That was the end of my object lesson!

No comments: