Thursday, September 07, 2006

Day 4 - Downtown Chicago


Reed had to work our first real day there at Chicago. Michelle was gracious enough to show us our first glimpse of the Windy City (wherein Michelle explained why it was really called the windy city - I never knew!)

We traveled on the L-train throughout the city and hit several downtown sites. She snapped our picture for us out on the Navy Pier - a tourist attraction that was built up for the world's fair.

We took a tour of the Franklin Lloyd Wright house which espoused some incredible architecture. It was a cool tour - one that Amber had been wanting to see.

After the tour, we met up with Reed in the city and had some pizza. Then we caught a show called the "Blue Man Group". See some trailers at this link. At the beginning of the show a girl came up to me and asked me if I would participate with them in one of the acts. I told them I would. They gave me some black shoes to wear and told me that near the end of the show they would come and get me.

Just as the show was beginning, they had Reed stand up in the audience and they announced that he had just mapped out the human genome. They asked everyone to applaud him. That was pretty funny - and the evening continued on just a funny. It was a pretty entertaining event. Near the end of the show, as promised, I was "selected" by one of the blue men where they put me in a jumpsuit and whisked me off stage. Once we were off stage, they showed a film of me getting my feet tied up and being hoisted up off the ground, painted blue, and slapped against a huge white canvas to create "art". Meanwhile, in the backstage they were changing my jumpsuit to be one that was already painted blue. They showed me a short clip of what the audience was seeing and then stuffed me in a small metal box that was rolled out onto the stage. On the cart was a large thing of jello. They told me that once the blue men started to shake the jello, I was supposed to poke my head out into the Jello through the hole in the cart. I did so, and once my head was in there, they ripped up the jello and there was my head. It was pretty dang fun.

No comments: