Monday, May 02, 2005

What 'Day to day' interactions will teach you

As you all know, Shantell moved down to Provo late Saturday night. On Sunday evening, I went over to her new place to visit her. I helped her get some of her last things out of the car into her 3rd floor apartment. We were ready to get her things situated.

We started in her room. There was a bed on cinderblocks, a dresser, and a desk with a chair. It wasn't placed in a way that would take advantage of the space she has in her room. She has quite a few things (mostly clothes) so we needed to move some furniture around.

Shantell asked me to move the bed over to the wall and then the dress next to it with the desk to a new location as well. I liked how it looked. She liked it too, but wanted to see a few different arrangements as well. I must have moved the bed 3 different times (remember it's on cinderblocks so I have to rearrange those as well) before I finally said, "Shantell, I think you need to decide where you want everything before we move things around. Then when you know for sure, we can move things to their final locations." She replied with, "I need to see how it looks in those locations before I know if I like it or not."

I was patient on the outside but very impatient on the inside. But, those of you who know me well are probably well aware that I don't hide my frustrations with people very well.....I tried, but she read my face like a book. When she'd ask me to move the dresser to a place I knew she wouldn't like - I wouldn't say a word. I would just look at her with a frustrated / pleading look of "can we just decide on a spot and begin unpacking?!?" She told me that she could do it herself if I wanted to go home. I had to leave, anyway, for ward prayer.

On a side note, it looks like the furniture is arranged pretty close to how I suggested that it went in the first place. I don't dare tell her that, though..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jake,

You really should get married before you decide to arrange furniture, hang pictures or anything else similar to it! It's really an unfair assessment of the way things will probably run in your "day to day interactions!"

John Andersen said...

Do you really think your relationship is ready for that kind of commitment? Jake you are moving way too fast. Furniture and pictures are for LATER in the relationship. It has taken Amber and I almost 8 years to "safely" do those things. :-)