Thursday, January 06, 2005

My Wallet is Gone!

Yesterday I logged on to my Discover card account to see the message, "Call this number immediately regarding you account [phone number]." I called the number and spoke with a nice man. He asked me if I attempted to withdraw money from my account numerous times last night around 1 - 2 am. I told him no. We deactivated my account.

I decided that I had better call Wells Fargo to see about activity on my Debit card. Sure enough, someone had went to 3 gas stations in the middle of the night and then ate at Betos for breakfast. I cancelled those accounts as well.

Being a very angry person right now, I went to the establishments where my card was used and asked to see their security cameras. The gas stations told me that their cameras aren't actually hooked up to anything. They're just used to make people think they can't steal gas. I went to Betos and asked them. They said that the security camera repairman is coming today to repair the cameras (they were broken). Oh, just my luck. I asked to see the receipt and they found it....unsigned. I am unable to track them down.

Discover Card is putting some investigators on the case. My last chance of catching them is due to the fact that they attempted to use ATM machines which usually have security cameras in them. Since the transaction didn't go through (they didn't know my PIN) Discover does not know, as of yet, which ATM's they tried to use. However, if we figure that out, we might be able to see who it is through the security cameras. The detectives won't be on the case until tomorrow. I cancelled both the Wells and Discover cards before $100 was even used. I hope that they don't decide to just close the case and pay the money they lost because it was so little. I have their number and will do my best to make sure that this care is really investigated.

I also set up fraud protection on all three credit agencies so that no one can open an account or apply for credit without me personally authorizing it.

I, of course, lost a lot of info that is useless to the thieves but very valuable to me: Drivers License, Temple Recommend, Provo Rec, Moto and Pickup insurance, receipts from EQ activity that I need reimbursement for, receipts for different presents, Student ID card, as well as many other things I can't think of right now.

I am investing in a wooden baseball bat. I'm anxious to see what the ATM cameras show.

No comments: