Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The passing of a friend

Amber and I have a friend who has, for many years, had the dream of climbing Mt. Everest. She has spent the past few years spending a lot of time outdoors with outdoor sports such as hiking, biking, etc. This year, she finally got her chance to head up to Everest.

She has sent a couple of emails in the past few days logging her journey and adventure.

Her email yesterday said that they were still at an airport waiting for their Nepal flight that had been delayed because of a storm. This morning I was notified by a friend in Provo that Leuzi Cardoso's plane had crashed in Nepal and that she, along with all 14 passengers did not survive.

This is a terrible tragedy for the family. Leuzi has a son serving a mission in the Morristown, NJ mission. Her husband and I have sat next to each other on the High Council in our Provo stake for several years. We have been friends for about 10 years. She was also Jace's nursery teacher while we were still in Provo.

Amber and I saw Leuzi as she was purchasing a camera for her Mt. Everest climb. She was really excited about the great adventure that awaited her. It is hard to fathom that this tragic accident has occurred. She will definitely be missed by our family.

2 comments:

John Andersen said...

Sorry...the original post left off the last two paragraphs:

This is a terrible tragedy for the family. Leuzi has a son serving a mission in the Morristown, NJ mission. Her husband and I have sat next to each other on the High Council in our Provo stake for several years. We have been friends for about 10 years. She was also Jace's nursery teacher while we were still in Provo.

Amber and I saw Leuzi as she was purchasing a camera for her Mt. Everest climb. She was really excited about the great adventure that awaited her. It is hard to fathom that this tragic accident has occurred. She will definitely be missed by our family.

Andi said...

I just saw Leuzi and her friend Heather at the Orem Recreation Center. We were all working out in the same class before all this had happened. I am so sad about this accident.