Tuesday, April 06, 2010

I'll bring you down!

The title of this post was the subject line of an email that I received the other day. A young girl had signed up for KidsEmail.org. Even though it says, "sign up for a free trial" and you get a free trial email after signing up, she wasn't aware that this service wasn't free. This is the email that I received:



It's not fair!
You never told me it was a trial.
I had VERY important emails
sent to that address, and now
they're gone! You should be
ashamed because now, if I
don't get those emails sent to
me by March 7th I will personally
make sure your business falls...
HARD!


I thought for a moment on how to respond to this email. Surely this was a young girl who loves the KidsEmail service and wishes that she could use it more. She could be a great advocate of my product, I thought. So I replied with the following email:


Kassidy,

I'm sorry that you feel this way. I have reactivated your account for another week so that you have a chance to retrieve any emails you need.

Thanks,

-Jacob.


Here is how our email conversation played out:


Jacob,
I am so sorry,
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings in any way.
I guess my anger came over me. Thank you
so much for this kind gesture, and, because
of it I'll recommend you to every one I can.

Warmly,
Kassidy




That's fine. I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

As you were so kind in your reply, I will extend your subscription for another year for FREE. Please do not tell anyone that I did this, though, as our customers typically pay for the service.

Thanks,

-Jacob.






Oh thank you, I will never tell anyone!
And next year, I WILL pay for the
services. But please, do not do anything
more for me because I do not want
you to get in trouble, it's so hard to
find people this nice!

Your Friend
Kassidy

P.S. You don't have to reply since my mom does not particularly
care for internet conversations, but once again, thank you dearly.


Shantell and i got a kick out of how this conversation evolved. It went from "I'll bring you down" to "Your friend".

No comments: